+81-3-5841-6032 / 1678
Mon.-Fri. 9:30-12:00, 13:00-17:00 工学部8号館１階
03-5841-6032 / 1678
Summer Program 2017, School of Engineering, UTokyo (Applications Closed)
The summer program at the University of Tokyo’s School of Engineering is an opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students to participate in scientific research projects at world-leading laboratories. Students from partner universities are eligible to participate. Please refer to the list of partner universities and designated institutions in section 5a (Eligibility) to determine eligibility.
Please refer to the 2016 Summer Program Report for information about the previous year's activities.
- Students must dedicate themselves fully to participation in the summer program. Students may not take any courses or be employed during the program. Additionally, all students must be able to attend the program for its entire duration.
- Students must live in the accommodation provided by UTokyo.
- Students must respect the work of all laboratory members, participate in activities in the laboratory (including daily life activities), and attend laboratory meetings/gatherings.
- Students must attend all required activities and social events.
- At the conclusion of the program, students must submit a research paper to the School of Engineering. Students must secure overseas travel insurance in their home countries before coming to Japan.
- Undergraduate or graduate student enrolled in a UTokyo partner university or other institution designated by the School of Engineering.
【List of partner universities and designated institutions】
NOTE: Undergraduate applicants must have completed at least two full years of study in a bachelor’s degree program by the time the summer program begins.
- Strong record of academic performance.
- High level of English proficiency as demonstrated by a minimum TOEFL (iBT) score of 79, or IELTS overall band score of 6.0 or equivalent (if applicant is not a native English speaker or if English is not applicant’s first language).
- Interested in pursuing a Ph.D.
- Have not taken part in this program before.
The program aims to give undergraduate and graduate students from around the world the chance to gain short-term research experience in scientific fields. Students will build their researching skills and expand their international networks. Students will also have the opportunity to work with Japanese students to build friendships and share knowledge they can use in in further collaborative efforts.
While the full-time laboratory program is three to five weeks long (depending on the laboratory the student belongs to), the program also provides students with chances to learn about the Japanese culture and language. Additionally, summer program students are welcome to use the UTokyo campus facilities (libraries, health center, gymnasium).
3-5 weeks between June 26, 2017 and August 4, 2017.
(program start date and duration vary depending on laboratory; please refer to the host lab’s schedule for details)
※Students must start the program on either June 26 or July 3, 2017.
3. Host labs, research topics, and detailed schedules
Students will belong to one of the listed laboratories from the School of Engineering. 【See the List of Host Labs】
4. Participation requirements
Applicants must satisfy all below eligibility requirements (a-e).
6. Number of participants
Maximum 20 students (to be finalized following host laboratory determinations).
7. Financial Support
- Stipend: JPY 80,000 (fixed; amount independent of program length)
- Accommodation: off-campus accommodation
(FUTI recipients ineligible for this stipend)
Note: FUTI (Friends of UTokyo, Inc) Awards are for students enrolled in US universities.
To apply for a FUTI Award, please visit the below website:
Applicants must apply for the program through the T-cens online application system. Visit the online application website: https://t-cens.iapply.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/t-cens_sp/login.php
1. Application Period
3:00 pm December 12, 2016 (JST) – 3:00 pm January 25, 2017
First, register with T-cens (https://t-cens.iapply.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/t-cens_sp/login.php) and get a Login ID and Password. Please complete your application submission before 3:00 pm (JST), January 25, 2017.
※JST・・・Japan Standard Time
2. Application Materials
- Personal statement 【Word Format】
- Official certificate of enrollment
- Academic transcript, undergraduate courses (for undergraduate students and graduate students)
Certified academic transcripts from all universities and/or colleges attended from freshman year to the present.
- Academic transcript, graduate courses (for graduate students)
Certified academic transcripts from all universities and/or colleges attended from the first year of graduate school to the present.
- A copy of the applicant’s TOEFL Examinee Score Report or a copy of the applicant’s IELTS Test Report Form, if applicant is not a native English speaker or if English is not the applicant’s first language.
- Letter of recommendation
At least one letter of recommendation must be issued by a faculty member at the applicant’s current institution who is familiar with the applicant’s educational background, academic performance, and motivation for attending the 2017 Summer Program. Your supervisor must upload your recommendation letter directly to the T-cens system. Please refer to the “how to upload a letter of recommendation” guide. 【Sample Format】
- Copy of passport If applicant does not have a valid passport, a census register or other available proof of citizenship should be submitted.
The applicants are selected primarily based on academic qualification according to their submitted application documents. The selection results will be announced by the middle of March.
Q: Do I need to contact the host professor at The University of Tokyo?
A: No, you don't need to contact your professor in advance. Selection will be done via the submitted documents.
Q: When will the online application start?
A: Online application is scheduled to start on December 12.
Q: Can we fill in only one choice for our host lab?
A: You can write in up to two choices for your host lab. Please be sure to write your first choice laboratory. If you do not have a second choice, please write “N/A” in the space provided for your second choice laboratory.
Q: Is prior knowledge of Japanese required?
A: No, Japanese proficiency is not necessary.
Q: What is an official certificate of enrollment?
A: It is a certificate issued by your university’s student administration office. It has your university’s seal and the registrar’s signature.
Q: How do I submit my letter of recommendation?
A: One letter of recommendation in PDF file can be uploaded to the T-cens system directly by your supervisor. Ask for the letter well in advance, and please also notify your supervisor of an e-mail they will receive from the T-cens system (and ensure it does not go to their junk e-mail folder).
Office of International Cooperation and Exchange
School of Engineering
The University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongo Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, Japan 113-8656